No matter how hard we try to avoid spilling things on carpet, accidents happen. Whether a friend dropped a glass of red wine at a party, your children knocked over a jar of paint or you dripped some spaghetti sauce as you served dinner, getting out the stain is the first thing you want to do. As much as we would like to call a professional carpet cleaner each time a stain occurs, that is not always possible. These tips can help you get those stains out and help keep your carpet looking new.
Are you experiencing troubles in removing stain from your carpet? Get in touch with Elite Steamer Carpet Cleaner and avail our carpet cleaning services. Contact us at 317.997.4305!
Remove any Excess
The first thing you want to do is to remove any excess solids, such as noodles from the spaghetti. Use a spoon or butter knife as quickly as possible and then blot away the excess liquid with a white, absorbent cloth. Work from the outside toward the center and always blot the stain, never rub as that can damage fibers. Continue that until the cloth no longer picks up color. Use only water at first as that may be all you need to get the stain out of your carpet.
Choose the Right Carpet Cleaner
You may need to have a variety of carpet cleaners on hand as some work better on certain stains than others. If you prefer not using commercial cleaners, create your own vinegar solution by mixing one teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, one-quarter teaspoon of vinegar into a quart of warm water. Do not over-wet the stain as that can damage the backing on your carpet. Let it sit for at least ten minutes. Before using any commercial cleaner, however, test it in an inconspicuous spot to be sure it will not discolor your carpet. After ten minutes, blot the stain away from the outside in. Continue until the stain no longer colors the cloth. Once that happens, blot with cold water and then blot dry.
One tip for blotting the stain dry is to cover the area with a layer of paper towels that is about one-half inch thick. Place them over the stain and weight them with a heavy object. Let the object sit for about two minutes, then change out the paper towels. Continue until the spot is dry or no liquid appears on the paper towels.
Specific stains may need special treatment. Some common spills that may need to be treated differently include:
• Blood – treat with club soda, then blot with a clean cloth and continue repeating until the stain is gone.
• Candle wax – rub the area with an ice pack and then break up the wax before vacuuming the pieces. Use a dry-solvent carpet cleaner following the manufacturer instructions before blotting to dry. Dap with a warm, damp cloth and then dry again.
• Chocolate – if the chocolate is melted, place a plastic bag filled with ice over the spot to harden it. Use a dull knife to scrape away as much chocolate as you can. Vacuum to remove any flakes. Mix one-quarter teaspoon of dish soap with one cup of warm water and apply using a clean cloth, again working from the outside in. Leave the solution on for five minutes and then blot until the stain is gone.
• Wine or juice – spritz the spot with club soda, blot with a clean microfiber cloth and repeat until the stain is gone.
• Urine – apply an enzymatic cleaner which can be purchased at a local pet store.
These tips can help you deal with almost any stain in your carpet. If you are unable to remove the stain, give us a call at Elite Steamer Carpet Cleaner to see how we can help. You can reach us at 317.997.4305 or fill out the easy Contact us from online.